2017 Fuel Cost Adjustments Released

The Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR) has released the fuel cost adjustments (FCAs) applicable to calendar year 2017. Increases were seen in #2 and #4 fuel oils and gas provided by National Grid or Con Edison. All other categories decreased in cost, except coal, which remained the same. Owners of buildings with rent controlled apartments must serve each affected controlled tenant with a completed Form RA-33.10 and must electronically file the forms with the DHCR Rent Office on or before March 23, 2018. Owners are not required to apply for the increase, but are obligated to reduce rents impacted by a decrease in fuel costs. No rent increase for fuel costs for 2017 may be collected from a rent controlled tenant until the tenant and DHCR have been served with the completed Owner’s Report, Certification and Notice of Fuel Cost Adjustment Eligibility (Form RA-33.10). It is recommended to obtain and keep evidence of such service, such as an affidavit of service by mail together with a postmarked receipt for Certified Mail or Certificate of Mailing, or a dated statement signed by the tenant acknowledging receipt. Paper applications will not be accepted by DHCR for the 2017 filing period. To file the form online, go to www.nyshcr.org. Under “Rental Housing“, click For Owners & Managers. Then click Owner’s Report, Certification and Notice of Fuel Cost Adjustment Eleigibility. If you require technical assistance or do not have access to a computer, call 718-482-1490 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., business days only.

Contact Us

Fill out the contact form or call us at 212-736-0500 to schedule your consultation.

Leave Us a Message