Bedbug Compliance Report Deadline: Dec. 31, 2018
Landlords have long been required to notify prospective tenants in writing about any bedbug infestations occurring the immediately preceding year. Starting with the passing of NYC Local Law 69 in 2017, owners must now elicit information from tenants regarding infestations and remediation for the period November 6 to November 30.
This information must be reported electronically to HPD each December for their property:
- The number of dwelling units;
- The number of dwelling units, as reported or otherwise known to the owner, than had a bedbug infestation during the previous year;
- The number of dwelling units, as reported or otherwise known to the owner, in which eradication measure were employed during the previous year for a bedbug infestation;
- The number of dwelling units reported in number 3 that had a bedbug infestation after such eradication measure were employed in such units; and
When submitting electronically, the owner will certify that either:
- A copy of such form will be distributed to each tenant of such building upon each lease renewal or the commencement of a new lease issued; or
- A copy of such form will be posted in a prominent location within the building within 60 days of the filing and that the owner will maintain a record that a copy of such form was prominently posted within 60 days of the filing of the information with HPD.
A link to the reporting application for property owners will be provided through HPDONLINE in December 2018. Pursuant to the law, HPD will also make the submitted information publicly available on its website.