Buyout Discussions Can Mean Harassment Effective Dec. 2, 2015
For instance, the following are considered illegal when discussing buyouts:
- Using threatening, intimidating or obscene language,
- Talking to tenants at their place of employment,
- Calling tenants at odd hours,
- Providing false information to tenants,
- Contacting a tenant before six months have passed after the tenant has asked in writing that no such contact be made, and
- Failing to give the tenant a written statement of the tenant's rights. Visit the HPD page that discusses harassment at http://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/renters/harassment.page.
For assistance in how to approach buyout discussions, contact our office.